Citrus Fruits come like a gift from above during the dark winter months. They bring us vitamins and remind us that sunnier days are ahead.
This Citrus and Fennel Salad brings the freshness of the fruit, earthiness of beets and heat of the chili together into a beautiful symphony. The flavor is clean yet quite complex and there is not doubt about that this citrus and fennel salad brings the beauty to the table!
Citrus fruits are a lovely source of Vitamin C, folate and potassium. Together they help with cell production, transmitting nerve impulses to muscles and vitamin C plays a key role in the formation of collagen. So there is no reason to pass on those juice, colorful balls. Peel, eat and stay healthy!
Fennel and Beets have for a long time now been in the center of the New Nordic Cusine. The licorice flavor of the fennel goes perfectly with the earthiness of the beet. And adding the citrus simply makes this salad sing!
Plate the salad for every person by layering citrus, fennel, and beets in a half circle or make one big, beautiful salad that can be the centerpiece of the table.
Recipe: Citrus and Fennel SaladServes 4 as a side dish
- 4 small Beets
- 1/2-1 Fennel Bulb with fronds
- 1 Orange
- 1 Blood Orange
- 1/2 Grape Fruit
- 2 Scallions
- Handful Pine Nuts
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Wrap the beats in foil and bake in 200°C (400°F) for 20-30 minutes or until tender
- Remove the beets from the oven and when cool enough to handle remove foil and rub the skin of. Cut into pieces
- Peel and segment the citrus
- Finely slice the fennel and scallions
- Toast the pine nuts on a pan
- Make the dressing: Stir together olive oil and vinegar. Add grated ginger, salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange citrus, beets, fennel and scallions on a plate. Drizzle with dressing, sprinkle with pine nuts and finely chopped chili
- Decorate with fennel fronds