This Green Salad tastes like summer it self and does not require many ingredients, it is light but very flavorful thanks to the fennel and the ginger.
It goes great with all kinds of grilled meat and fish, and I like to serve it with my middle eastern inspired meatballs.
The dressing is creamy, but made with Skyr, so it is low fat but contains good proteins. I mix it with ginger and lime to give it a real summer kick. If you can not get skyr in your supermarket, use greek yogurt or low fat cream fraiche / sour cream instead.
If you have never had fennel before, please do me a favor and give it a try. It’s so delicious and when you grill it with little olive oil like I do in this recipe, it becomes tender and sweet.
If you want to add something to the salad, green beans or edamame would be a good choice.
Recipe: Green Salad with Grilled Fennel & Ginger Skyr DressingThis salad serves 4 if you serve it as a side dish to meatballs
- 100 g Salad/Greens - I use mixed baby leaves
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1 Fennel bulb
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Skyr (I use ginger flavored)
- 5-10 g Fresh Ginger (use more if you are using non flavored skyr)
- Juice from 1/2 Lime
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- Tiny Pinch of Salt
- Wash the greens and dry them. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt
- Pit and chop the avocado and add to the salad bowl
- If you want you can remove the middle from the cucumber (I never do) then chop it and add to the bowl
- Cut the fennel lengthwise and grill over high heat for few minutes, drizzle with oil. Then add to the bowl
- Give the salad a good toss and set aside while you make the dressing
- In a small jar mix together skyr, grated ginger, lime juice, pepper and salt
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately
| Published on May 13, 2014 | Family Style Dinner – Green Salad with Grilled Fennel and Ginger Dressing