This Lentil Salad Recipe is bursting with flavor and texture and the grilled citrus, almonds, figs and feta cheese makes every bite of this lentil salad the perfect bite. Crunchy, sweet, bitter, soft and fresh!
This Lentil Salad is the perfect side dish with my Middle Eastern Leg of Lamb recipe.
Baking and grilling citrus caramelizes the fruit’s natural sugar and adds depth. I do it in the oven, but if you are lighting your grill, by all means throw the citrus on there and add subtle smokiness to the salad as well.
This salad requires quite a lot of ingredients – but it is also totally efficient as the only side dish on the table. It covers it all. The baked citrus go perfectly with the sweetness of the figs and freshness of the feta. A complex salad that sings harmony in your mouth!
All the products in the images are from the beautiful Danish Design Brand, ferm Living who create Scandinavian houseware and interior products with strong graphic edge and a hint of retro.
This Lentil Salad Recipe was created for Ferm Living’s Easter Catalog, available online.
Recipe: Lentil Salad RecipeServes 6
Goes perfectly with Middle Eastern Leg of Lamb
- 5 dl (2 cup) Green Lentils, cooked
- 2 Red Peppers
- 1 Lemon
- 3 Oranges
- 1 Grapefruit
- 1 Bulb Fennel
- 15 Brussel Sprouts
- 6 Figs
- 1 Chili
- 10 Almonds
- Handful Fresh Mint
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Tahini
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Boil the lentils. Follow instructions on the package
- Blacken the Peppers over gas, with a burner or in the oven. Then remove the burnt skin and slice the tender pepper meat into slices
- Slice the lemon, one orange and half of the grape fruit and place on a baking sheet, drizzle with few drops of olive oil. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes on 180°C (350°F) until charred in spots
- Peel the remaining two oranges and the half grapefruit and cut to pieces
- Slice the Fennel, brussels sprouts and figs, chop the chili and almonds and take mint leaves of the stem
- Whisk olive oil, vinegar, tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper together
- Toss everything together in a large bowl