I am busy in the kitchen these days making holiday gifts for friends and family. Homemade jams and caramels are on the menu this year. If you like salty and sweet together, like pancakes and bacon or salt liquorice and chocolate, you are going to love this salty-caramel recipe. The toffees are easy to make and taste divine.
- 70 g (3/4 stick) Butter
- 2.5 dl (1 cup) Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 dl (1 1/4 cup) Sugar
- 1/2 dl (1/4 cup) Golden Syrup
- 3 tbsp Water
- Sea Salt for sprinkling
- Have your thermometer ready and start by coating a pan (20x20 cm) with parchment paper or foil.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the heavy cream, vanilla and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, and take off the heat. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, mix together the sugar, corn syrup, and water. Boil on the stove over medium-high heat. Do not stir. Boil until the sugar turns a light golden color and reaches 150°C (300°F)
- When the sugar reaches 150°C (300°F), add the heavy cream mixture. It will bubble and boil. You can stir at this point and let it cook until it reaches 120°C (250°F)
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and let the mixture set for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool completely at room temp
- When the caramel has cooled cut it into small squares and wrap them in parchment paper, twisting the sides to close
- Fill a little jar or Christmas boxes with caramels and give to a loved one for the holidays
| Published on November 30, 2011 | Salty Caramel Recipe